Google Rating

PPC: Dermeze

How we increased a client’s PPC CTR by 29.65%, and lowered Google Ads CPC by 38.47% between June 1st, 2018 and April 31st, 2019.

By restructuring the campaign and ad group set-ups, and with sound analysis and swift, informed action, we achieved the following results for our one of our client’s accounts.

  1. Increased the client’s CTR by 29.65%: from 3.44% to 4.46%
  2. Decreased the CPC from $2.88 to $1.99.


Our client sells a range of products for dry and sensitive skin. Their cream is a hypoallergenic, fragrance-free moisturiser for everyday use on the face and body.

The advertisement of pharmaceutical products on Google is always a big challenge, as pharmaceutical manufacturers must be certified by Google in order to publish ads.


On the client’s request, we used branded keywords for their strong organic position. The monthly spend was directed towards keywords targeting symptoms and products associated with dry skin, as well targeting competitor keywords. During these months, we kept the cost between $1600 and $2000.

How we did it:

Step 1.

We restructured the account based on the different phrases, by using different keyword match types on a campaign level. The previous agency only used broad modified and exact match keywords, but we decided to test the performance of phrase match keywords as well. With phrase match keywords, we could lower CPC and CTR; the average cost and conversion was lower than broad modified or exact match keywords.

Step 2.

We used cross exclusions to prevent our keywords from competing against each other. We also frequently checked the search terms generated by the new exact match keywords. We compared the search terms with the list generated by the script, excluding the irrelevant phrases and using cross exclusions.

Step 3.

We significantly increased the number of negative keywords. We extended the negative keyword lists previously created, excluding irrelevant general phrases eg: phrases which related to death, animals’ names and so on.

Step 4.

We added location targeting to break down performance by states and Australia’s most populated cities. This enabled us to make bid adjustments based on location. We also implemented ad schedules to make bid adjustments for the better performing times of day. Lastly, we also used bid adjustments for devices on an ad group level.

Step 5.

We uploaded extensions such as sitelinks, callouts, structure snippet extension on a campaign level to increase the quality score of the keywords, and to increase coverage Google Search Network coverage.

Step 6.

We tested different bid strategies as well, especially for significantly maximising conversions. Our main goal was to decrease the cost/conversion and increase the number of conversions, whilst following the same budget.

This client’s product page was not consistent with an e-commerce website. To judge performance, we measured specific actions on the website; clicks on the store finder button, post code searches, and clicks on the retailer’s button.


The following graph shows the trend of the CTR from April 2018 until the end of April 2019. Note, we only started on the account from the 1st June 2018. However, to highlight the improved performance of the account we are including a date range of one calendar year. As the graph shows, we increased the CTR by 29.65% YOY.

ctr trend

On the next graph we can see how the CPC has decreased over time, from when we started managing the account. With a lower CPC we could bring more relevant traffic to the website whilst following the same monthly budget.

cpc trend