Do you provide products or services on a mainly local basis? A hairdresser, butcher or restaurant for example. Then local SEO is vitally important so more people can find you.
If you are interested in finding out more about SEO in general we wrote a handy guide What is SEO
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimising your website and Google my Business (GMB)listing in order to capture an audience that is the same geographical area as your business. This is done in various ways, some of which are similar to regular SEO but some of which are unique to local.
What are Local Search Results Pages (Local SERPS)
Local search results are the pack or block of business listings that are shown after a local based search like ( plumbers in Dublin ).
That result is pretty different from your standard search result and contains unique information like opening times, phone number, user reviews and photo’s. Google’s algorithms are smart enough to pull this information from your website but in fact this information comes from a businesses Google My Business profile (GMB).
You need to claim your Google My Business Listing right now!!!
Google my business is a free Google platform that allows you to manage your business(es) profile(s) on Google. According to Google “With a Google My Business account, you get more than a business listing. Your free Business Profile lets you easily connect with customers across Google Search and Maps.” and it allows you “Engage with customers on Google for free”.
So while the incredibly important first step in Local SEO is claiming your business listing, Google uses other sources, known as “citations” to verify that the information you have provided is correct and consistent. An example of a citation would be our listing on Kildare Chamber of Commerce
Why is local SEO important
- 30% of all mobile searches are related to location.
- 76% of people who search on their smartphones for something nearby visit a business within a day
- 28% of searches for something nearby result in a purchase
- 54% of smartphone users search for business hours and 53% search for directions to a local store.
- About 45% of global shoppers buy online and then pick up in-store
- “Where to buy” + “near me” mobile queries have grown by over 200% from 2017–2019.
- Mobile searches for “store open near me” (e.g., “supermarket open near me”) have grown by over 250% from 2017–2019.
- Mobile searches for “on-sale” + “near me” (e.g., “tires on sale near me”) have grown by over 250% YOY from 2017–2019.
What can I do to improve my local SEO
- Claim your GMB listing
- Make sure your listing is accurate, up to date and fill in every field Google gives you.
- Build new citations on business listing websites and make sure your existing ones are correct and consistent with your GMB profile.
- Encourage customers to review you on Google and respond to reviews, positive and negative.
- Website localisation: This means including your city, county or region name naturally throughout your website. For businesses with several locations, this could mean creating separate pages or Content Hubs for individual locations.
Grow your business with Vine Digital & Local SEO
Due to covid-19 local searches are more important than ever and they’re only going to get stronger and more significant in the future, especially considering how keen Google is to keep the local search experience off your website.
All local businesses, from plumbers and builders to florists and accountants, can take advantage of Local SEO to boost your sales before your competitors start doing it too.